Savanna natives Keith Brown and Mike Ritchie are the bullwork planners and builders renovating the former Allied
Furniture Building at 404 and 406 Main Street. Aside from contributing 1,500 hours that Keith and
Mike have contributed thus far, they have been been successful in obtaining good workers through the local
GED program, the Thomson Correctional Center and several other community volunteers and tradesmen. Some volunteers
such as Bud Wilt and Don Nolte have contributed 200 or more hours as of March 2009.
The oldest part of the building was constucted in 1899 by R G Fuller for his furniture and funeral business. It
was owned by R G Fuller and his family until 1979 when it was purchased by Al Geiskempter of Savanna for his Allied Furniture
In August 31, 2007, the building was purchased by the Savanna Historical Society, NFP. Since then, the building
has been undergoing renovation to transform this 17,000+ sq. ft. building into a museum for the collections
of the Savanna Historical Society.
These photos show the extensive strengthening and reconstuction of the building's systems.
Attorney/Engineer and Board Member John LeComte of Savanna has been indispensable to Keith, Mike and the board in
the reconstruction of systems, layout and design to most effectively and productively transform the building into a museum
of public interest and community benefit.